- The superman exercise requires you to kneel on your hands and knees, hands below your shoulders, and knees below your hips.
- Use a yoga mat or pillow if you find it uncomfortable on your knees.
- Keep your lumbar spine in the neutral position.
- Ensure your upper back is also extended, chest up and shoulders back.
- Set your core muscles, bracing your abdominals.
- Keep your neck straight and chin tucked in.
- Press your tongue to the roof of your mouth
- Stay relaxed and keep breathing.
- Slowly slide one leg backwards, extending the knee and lifting the foot.
- At the same time lift the opposite arm.
- As you extend the leg back and arm up, use your core muscles to maintain a neutral lumbar spine and level pelvis.
- Hold this position.
- Glutes, back extensors, hamstrings, deltoid.
- Try the Abdominal Hollowing exercise while your on your hands and knees and try to maintain this throughout this exercise.
- If you find this very difficult you may find it easier to lift your leg, get your balance and then lift your arm once you feel stable.
- Movements should be slow and controlled while you concentrate on breathing normally and engaging your abdominals.
- Superman on the exercise ball.
- If you feel you're not ready to add the ball yet, you can still make this more difficult by adding light ankle and wrist weights, or just holding onto a light dumbbell (1-2kg).